Mixing 1 Wk Old Banty Chicks And Hen W/rir Hen And Chicks Born Today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DonnaBelle, Nov 7, 2009.

1. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Well, all of a sudden I'm deep in baby chicks. I have 4 one week old baby banty chicks with momma and 8 RHODE Island Red chicks hatching today. I have a nice small coop and dog pen area where the 4 banty chicks and momma are and DH thinks we can just put all the chicks in together tomorrow in the small coop and dog pen area. Do you think this will be OK?

DonnaBelle

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Not a good idea. Mama won't like the new chicks.

3. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    In the words of that rocker, addict chick Amy Winehouse, "I said no, no, no," [​IMG] Sorry I couldn't resist. The song goes on from there, but none of the rest of it has any pertinence to this situation. A friend of mine brought one of her momma hens in from outside with her little clutch, so they could be safe. They were in her garage with a pen of 2 wk old chicks I had hatched out for her. Momma jumped the pen and killed every last one of them. The chicks weren't even close by, hen was on one end of the garage, chicks on the other. Like 'ol Amy says, "I said no, no, no," [​IMG] Yup, sick, but the issue is no joke. I wouldn't do it. I don't think you'd get out of the room before she'd have killed one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by