Mixing 15 week olds with 10 week olds?? Can it be done??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickens2009, Jul 2, 2010.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Songster

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I have 24, 15 week old mixed breed hens and roos in a 14 x 8 coop, (6 roos I think?). I also have 10 Red Star hens that I need to move to a bigger coop since they have outgrown their small one. Can I put them in with the 15 week old birds , or will the older ones peck, bully them to much or even try and kill them?

(The mixed breeds are Dominique Roo x with EE, Dominiques and some mutts that were given to me by a friend to hatch.)

2. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Songster

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Anyone?

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    That is still a pretty big size difference. I would put them where they can see eachother for a week (but can't hurt eachother), then see if they can get along all together.

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I will be putting four 9 week olds out tomorrow with two 13/14 week olds. They will be seperated by run fencing for a week or so but after that I will introduce them while free ranging. I would let the groups see each other and stuff for a few days and then introduce them. I will also update this after tomorrow to let you know how MY introductions went.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I agree with chics and morgan about separating them with visibility for a little while.

I also think that the size of your run/yard has a lot to do with it. If the young ones have a lot of places to hide or a large area to roam, so that they can get out of site of the big guys, they will more quickly learn to live with each other.

I have a lot of success with integrating different ages because they free range.

6. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Songster

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Problem is right now I have only 2 coops and they are 10' or more apart and are permently in there place so I can't put them close together for a few days. I know that this is the proper way but I am just not able to do it right now?? [​IMG]
    Maybe I will try and free range together for a few days and see if they get along. Only problem with that is if they start to fight I have no way of seperating them?

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Set up some place for the little ones to hide. Most likely though, in my experience, you won't have that much problem if you free range.

8. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Songster

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Thanks one and all for the info and help. I will try and free range for a few hrs everyday over the next week or so and see what happens.
    Take care and God bless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by