Mixing 3 week old chicks with 1 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Caddo14, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Caddo14

Caddo14 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    I have had a bad batch of chicks which only 7 survived after finding what was wrong and medicating them. I bought some more to supplement my loses but they are 2 weeks apart. There is a big size difference and I dont want the older chicks killing the younger. I have been medicating the new chicks with Amprol 128 and they seem really health. What I am thinking is adding them to the same broader but using chicken wire to separate them. Wait a couple of days then remove the wire. Any ideas?

NorthTexasWink likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's a plan a lot of us employ with different aged chicks. Try it and see how it goes. In my experience, the younger the chicks, the more accepting they are. You may be within that window of acceptance.

NorthTexasWink likes this.
  3. Caddo14

Caddo14 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Thanks I will give it a try tonight. I will let you know

4. Caddo14

Caddo14 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Instead of putting the chicken wire between them I place some of the older chicks in the younger chicks broader and some young ones in the older. I did this for about 15 minutes the I placed all of them in the biggest broader and let them hangout for another 30 minutes. They did great together. The older chicks huddled together in the corner and the younger chicks roamed. It was funny to see the older chicks were scared of the younger. Now they are together.

5. Qtip1445

Qtip1445 Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    How did that end up working in the long run? Did it help to even out the number of older and younger? I ask because I have one chick that is 2 weeks younger than the other three...not sure if I need to separate them or not. So far, the little gal is scaring the older ones and she gives an occasional peck. I'm mostly afraid that they will scare her away from the feed and water.

6. WVfirefly

WVfirefly Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    I am going to try the together but separate approach. I have 10 that are 3 day old and 6 4 week olds. I'm going to put the younglings' box in the much larger box that the 4 week olds are in and let them listen and smell each other a few days. Then I'll ad some visibility but keep separation. Then after they are ignoring each other nicely I'll remove the separation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by