Mixing 7 week old chicks with grown birds?

FluffyFarm

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Can I put 7 week old chicks in with my grown hens or should I keep them apart until a certain age? Chicks are all pullets.

It really depends on how much room there is and the breed as well. I have serama, phoenix, and Yokohama bantams (all nonaggressive breeds), small breed turkeys, and a couple call ducks with a huge coop and huge poultry yard; I don't hesitate to incorporate any age into the flock. I also have "safe areas" where the smaller birds can go, but not the larger ones.

Not knowing your set up I'd recommend that you pen the chicks in sight of the older birds. After several days release a few chicks and spend time observing the flock. If the older birds are too aggressive you'll need to separate the chicks until they are older.

It really depends on how much room there is and the breed as well. I have serama, phoenix, and Yokohama bantams (all nonaggressive breeds), small breed turkeys, and a couple call ducks with a huge coop and huge poultry yard; I don't hesitate to incorporate any age into the flock. I also have "safe areas" where the smaller birds can go, but not the larger ones.

Not knowing your set up I'd recommend that you pen the chicks in sight of the older birds. After several days release a few chicks and spend time observing the flock. If the older birds are too aggressive you'll need to separate the chicks until they are older.
Thank you for your in depth easy to follow instructions.

Back
Top Bottom