mixing 7 week olds into flock, how to feed separately?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jawinder, May 27, 2010.

1. jawinder

jawinder In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm ready to put mama and 19 babies back with the flock in the regular coop. (I really need my gardening shed back, and they are making SUCH a mess!)

I've put up a lower roost for the chicks.
    They've been free ranging all daywith the flock for weeks, and I think they have worked out any problems.

HOW will I keep them out of eachother's feeders in the coop?

The chicks are on grower feed. The flock is on layer pellets.
    I can hang the feeder with the layer pellets high enough that hopefully the chicks won't get into it. But how do I keep the hens out of the chick food? (They've gotten into the chick starter lots of times and will eat it ALL.) [​IMG]
    The chick food is in 2 upsidedown quart jars, with the little round feeder screwed on.

Any advice? Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    ARG! I need the answer to this too! Thanks for asking it!

3. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    I just feed everyone flock raiser, with oyster shell on the side, and they are all good.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Perfect answer, exactly what I and many others would recommend.

5. libbybeth

libbybeth In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2007
    Corydon, IN
    Sorry, but what is flock raiser? Is it a concoction of feeds you make yourself or is it comething you buy?

6. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Or you can rig up a "panic room". In a corner of the pen, erect a small room out of poultry netting, and cut a small doorway into one of the inside walls just large enough for the small fry to get through. It needs to be big enough so a big hen can't reach the chick feeder placed in the far corner. You may need to experiment with the size of the opening. I made mine a tad too large at first, and a hen managed to squeeze through, but couldn't get back out. It was pretty darn funny.

This is also useful for the youngsters to escape any bullying. Later, after everyone has learned their place in the flock, and are big enough to defend themselves, you can take the panic room down.

7. jawinder

jawinder In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Do you think "flock raiser" would be the same thing as "grower"? With our brand of feed, it is what they eat from 6 weeks old until they lay.
    I'll offer lots of oyster shell, and I always rinse, dry, and crumble the eggshells to feed back to them.
    That would make life so easy if they could all be on the same food! [​IMG]
    Thanks so much! You all are wonderful -- more information that I could find in all the chicken books I could ever read!
    Jennifer

8. jawinder

jawinder In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    A panic room sounds like a good idea too, so they'll be able to get away if they need to. Thanks!
    I'll definitely get them all on the same food. Simplicity feels like a priority these days!

9. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    Flockraiser is made by Purina.. All it is is a "multipurpose" feed at 20% protein. It's designed to be used with varying types of flocks, an all in one feed.

I use it for my geese, goslings, chickens, and chicks.

10. eidilon

eidilon Hatching

May 28, 2009
    Norridgewock, ME
    Thanks for the info on mixing the flocks, I had questions about the feed too and they were answered here. The "Panic Room" is a great idea. I was doing the chicken chores this morning and two of my laying hens hopped into the fenced off area containing the almost 8 week old chicks while I was getting the water in for them. There was much eyeing of each other and a few nasty looking pecks that sent the young ones scrambling. I got the big "Girls" out and things settled down. But it was a pretty funny few minutes. I'd like to thank the BYC forum folks whenever we look for info it is here. Sometimes conflicting, but here. You've got to make your mind up and go for it.

Steve with wife, 2 Pembroke Corgis, 2 cats, and 6 New Hampshire Reds, 6 B&W lace Wyandottes, 3 Lace Wyandottes, 1 BROODY Buff Orpington and fifteen meat chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by