Mixing a black runner with a fawn and white

Chickens really has way more practical experience and knowledge and is probably right. I am a book nerd who finds genetics fascinating. In Storey’s guide to raising ducks it says the extended black is incompletely dominant and the fawn and white runners carry the blue gene and runner gene which are also incompletely dominant. Incomplete dominance usually results in a mix between the traits. So, based only on my reading, I would think you would get blue ducks with some black leaking through in places like on the tips of the wing feathers and some small white patches maybe on the chest. I hope you will post pictures when they hatch!

Chickens really has way more practical experience and knowledge and is probably right. I am a book nerd who finds genetics fascinating. In Storey’s guide to raising ducks it says the extended black is incompletely dominant and the fawn and white runners carry the blue gene and runner gene which are also incompletely dominant. Incomplete dominance usually results in a mix between the traits. So, based only on my reading, I would think you would get blue ducks with some black leaking through in places like on the tips of the wing feathers and some small white patches maybe on the chest. I hope you will post pictures when they hatch!
This makes me excited!!!

Hey, just realized from looking up info for another post, that you could have sex-linked ducklings if your drake is the fawn and white and your hen is the black. Is that what you have?

Hey, just realized from looking up info for another post, that you could have sex-linked ducklings if your drake is the fawn and white and your hen is the black. Is that what you have?
I don't actually have them yet but will be purchasing them in the spring and can't decide what colors I want. So I thought I'd get black and a white and fawn. If they'd make sexkinked babies that would be super cool but yes that is what I plan to buy a f&w drake and black duck.

If f&w drake and black duck then your female offspring will be split for black with brown sex linked, dusky with blue. My guess would be something possibly with a lavender duck but with split extended black you could be in for quite the variance. As for the males, they would be split for black, split for brown sex linked, blue, dusky, probably appear as blue in theory, but again, extended black being split is variable.

Back
Top Bottom