Mixing a new bantam with larger older girls

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenBiscuit, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ChickenBiscuit

ChickenBiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I have 5 one year old ee's and I had plans to go buy a bantam silkie tomorrow morning. I know I have to wait until the silkie is full grown before putting her with the others... but after watching the Natural History of the Chicken I'm all worried she'll be picked on for the rest of her life by the older bigger girls. On a side note, my girls are not mean to eachother at all. Any advice?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She will be picked on for the rest of her life. Silkies because of their smaller size and 'different' look frequently become targets when introduced to an established flock. When raised together from chicks, bantams and standards can get along fine. I would be concerned about integrating a single silky into an established flock of standard sized fowl. Chicken society can be very cruel.

3. ChickenBiscuit

Apr 29, 2011
    Oh no! I was afraid to hear this! Would it help if I got 2 or 3 silkies instead of just one? Does it not matter that my ee's have not been agressive towards one another??? Sad.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There is a slightly better chance when introducing multiples to a flock - the provision of hiding places might also help. There will still be pecking and attempts at subordination. Your present birds are not fighting because the pecking order has been set and no one is regarded as a 'stranger'. Think 'mean girls' in high school. The safest scenario would be a couple of silkies in a separate pen.

5. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Here is from my experience i got 20 chicks all only a few days old. Month later added 2 silkies one ended up being a roo and the only reason his sister didn't get picked on. The hens did not like them at all. the roo though took charge and protected his sister from the hens and also beat up the hens. They had to get separated. They now have their own coop. I believe if we had gotten them a few days in between or the same day we wouldn't have any problems, but because of the gap it didn't work and if both silkies had been female we would have had even more problems.

6. ChickenBiscuit

Apr 29, 2011
    Just great. Is there no hope for me to have a silkie? If this happens how hard is it to just let them live in the house? I am willing to do what it takes to have these beautiful babies in my life!!

7. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    You could keep it in the house, or you could build a small tractor or smaller coop to house it then you could get two or more silkies XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by