Mixing actual fat in with chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Johntodd, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Johntodd

Johntodd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    west TN area
    Hi! I've been blessed by the gods and have a small abundance of leftover fat from cooking beef. LOL! :)

I was thinking of mixing it in with some layer pellets or home-grown corn to make little balls and then feed it to my chickens. It's winter time cold here, perhaps they could use the extra calories?

I have 1 White Rick roo and 2 RIR hens.

Thanks!
    -Johntodd

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Not a good idea for the Chickens.....Great idea for Wild birds though....Mix it with Wild Bird seed...They are the ones who need the extra calories in the Winter........

Cheers!

3. Johntodd

Mar 3, 2016
    west TN area
    My chooks seem to be off their regular feed right now. This is their first winter. I am concerned about them getting enough to fight the cold.

Why is this fat thing a bad idea for chooks?

4. chickens really

They do not need the added fat......Fat Hens do not produce great eggs.......A handful of scratch at night is all they need when the weather gets cold.........

Not sure why your Birds are off their feed? Moulting?

Cheers!

5. Johntodd

Mar 3, 2016
    west TN area
    They finished the molt, although I do see a few new feathers. This is also my first winter with chooks. Are they still molting this late? It was 30F last night.

THey have 3000 sq.ft to rummage through but aren't interested since the weather got cold. They seem healthy, just a sudden change of behavior. Maybe they're on drugs?

6. chickens really

Well, if your giving them more snacks other than the Feed? That could be the reason why?

Did you change the Feed?

You could add a grower feed for the extra protein.......I feed my Birds layer and grower mixed 50/50 ratio........

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by