Mixing adult chickens with my 6 weekers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by atropa, Sep 15, 2007.

1. atropa

atropa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2007
    Nashville area, TN
    I have 7 6 weekers who are doing great, really starting to fill out. I have a friend who is getting rid of all her chickens and I would like to have some of them. I'm concerned about coccidiosis though. Her birds are free range, and would be kept separate from the younger ones except at night when they would be separated by a fence. Should I risk it? I feed them Dumor starter, which isn't medicated, because that's what we have around here. I'd really like to have some more chickens, especially already laying, but I don't want my young ones to die. Maybe I could keep them totally separate? What do you guys think? I kind of need an answer quickly because we're supposed to go over there in a little bit. Thanks a lot guys in advance!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Read the link posted and remember that babies need about 5 months to build natural immunities. They also are not safe with adults until they are very close in size.

Jody

3. atropa

atropa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2007
    Nashville area, TN
    Thank you for posting that link. I searched but just couldn't seem to come up with what I needed. We did get the birds, but they are separate from the younglings. We scored a gorgeous RIR roo and several bantams that all looked to be in good shape. I'm not letting them anywhere near my others though. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by