Mixing adult geese and ducks

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ChickieBooBoo, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have 6 ducks and I seen an ad on Kijiji for some adult geese, this years hatch. I would really like to try them, but do you think the ducks or them would mind? I'm not sure if the geese have ever been around ducks, she was advertising some ducks with them so I would think so. But my ducks have never seen a goose in their life, do you think they would fight?

2. Pigeonrh

Pigeonrh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    I add young geese back to my flock every spring/summer that I hatch in the incubator. I take them out before they even get there feathers and the adults let them in to the flock just like they hatched them themselves. I also have about 20 ducks back there to and they just keep to themselves. Never really had a problem with them not getting along other then the odd time when theres feed around and one of the geese gives chase to one of the ducks lol

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I think it depends on who is in the pen first! My trio of white chinese will not tolerate any other ducks or geese in their pen and even chase chickens and birds out of it! I put appleyard ducks in with my muscovies and they did fine together. Then added 3 brown chinese and they are getting along fine.

Some geese are more aggressive than others. My sebbies are in the cabin coop with banties and never pay attention to them. And I have a pr. of tufted romans in another barn with turkeys and they get along well.

Since the geese are bigger they can bully your ducks. Ducks are quick and can get out of their way! I do use separate feed pans to make sure they all get enough to eat.

Maybe keep an eye on then to see how well they establish the pecking order...

I love my geese and find they have so much personality and really can bond with you. One sebby goose hen will come up to me and nibble on my coveralls at feeding time and wait for the fresh water.. It is cute to have a routine with them....

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    The Geese I am interested in are Embdon x Africans so I don't think they are too aggressive

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by