Mixing adults with youngin's -- Feed Issue

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dwdoc, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    I currently have two adult bird in quarantine but when it is time to add them to my coop how do I control who gets what feed? I'll have some on Grower feed and the adult hens are on Layer feed. How does one ensure each age bird is getting the age appropiate food?

Thanks for the assist.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I'd just feed em the grower feed and supplement with some oyster shell..........

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:X 2.

I feed my entire flock Grower/Finisher feed, and supplement with crushed oyster shell free choice. I have all different ages in my flock. I haven't fed layer feed in a year and everything's fine.

4. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Quote:Currently doing the same [​IMG]

5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Good question ...thanks for the answers from the more experienced members....

I hope to be facing the same issue sometime next year and now I know the answer.

6. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I also feed them flock raiser, but what about the baby chicks? Can they also have the flock rasiser? I currently have my first broody sitting on 5 eggs on day 16.

7. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I also feed them flock raiser, but what about the baby chicks? Can they also have the flock rasiser? I currently have my first broody sitting on 5 eggs on day 16.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My broody hatched her chicks today in the juvenile coop. I switched the whole flock in that coop over to something called "Allway Kernels". It's basically the same thing as flockraiser - an unmedicated starter, grower and layer in one.
    You just have to make sure to offer the layers some oyster shell on the side, since it's lower in calcium than layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by