Mixing ages

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by homeschoolmama, May 13, 2010.

1. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Silly chickens! I have 6 8 week olds ( 2 SS, 2 Delaware, 1 EE and 1 BR) and 6 4-5 week olds (2 Welsummers, 1 Cuckoo Marans, I EE, 1 Buff Brahma and 1 Golden sex link). I've had the older chicks in a big cardboard box brooder ( about 3'x4') and the younger chicks in a smaller cardboard brooder (about 2'x3') with a window covered w/ hardware cloth between the two so they could all get used to each other. As advised on this forum I waited till the youngest chick was 4 weeks old to group them together. Today is the day. So I added yet another box (4'x2.5') to this (hubby will be "just thrilled" when he sees how much of the garage is now taken up with all this but will maybe get the coop finished up more quickly-LOL) so I have 3 boxes strung in a row with doorways (about 1-2' wide or so) cut through and all the chicks can get to all the boxes. Mixing them together this afternoon seemed to go pretty well w/ all the exploring of new spaces. A little pecking and chasing from the big ones but nothing more than I expected and I've been checking on them regularly. Just now when I went in they are all taking a siesta crammed into the smallest box- the big ones in one corner under the lower (thus warmer) heat lamp that had been the little girls' and the little girl group crammed into the opposite corner under no lamp and noone under the higher lamp that the big girls had been using. The garage isn't too chilly now but will be tonite. I'm assuming they will all work this out somehow? The heat lamps are in their original positions. Do you think I should move them both so they are in the bigger box w/more "warm space"? Or just let them figure it out?
    Thanks!

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Hmm.... interesting quandary. Normally, you figure the chicks will go where it's warm - but in this case, the big chicks got there first! Is there any way you can lower the second heat lamp to make more "warmer" space in the box they are currently in? I'd hate to move them if they are comfy.

3. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    im not too sure [​IMG] hopefully someone with the knowledge will come by this and tell the secrets :eek:

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Quote:I did that earlier and some of the "big girls" have moved over into their old space. Most of the little girls are just hanging in the corner (no heat)-possibly just nervous, altho they were all checking most of their new space earlier. Its just so silly that they are all in the smallest space w/ a bunch of unused real state just waiting for them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by