Mixing Ages?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PoultryQueen29, Nov 8, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I am thinking of getting one frizzle mix pullet next year that will be hatched in the spring. I have a barred rock pullet and an EE pullet right now that were hatched 9/28/11. Would they get along with the frizzle mix if it is so much younger?

2. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Anyone?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I find that introducing new birds is stressful to the existing order of things. You'd likely want to wait until your new bird(s) are of the same size and maturity as the full grown hens. Then, follow all the normal procedures for integration. You'll need a place to raise the new ones. Just a singular nubie puts all the attention on just one and that can be tough. If the new one is a bantam and the old guard is large fowl, that too is not a fair fight. Chickens can and do work things out, but it is sometimes not as easy as we think it should be.

4. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok. So it will be a problem that the new one will be far from laying while the others are laying? I dont have a separate pen or anything and I dont plan on building one.

5. AshleyW

AshleyW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2011
    I recently added a few chickens to my flock and I just keep them separated with some fence inside the coop for a few days so they see each other. It works out for me most of the time with very little fighting.

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    The problem is I have one coop with their food and water with a little doorway for the chickens so I cant keep them separate without locking them out of the coop.

7. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    My oldest chicken is 5 year old and youngest 24 weeks and the rest all range in between and they get along fine

8. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have a coop with mixed ages right now for the winter months (we free range and had a few late hatches who were becoming hawk bait). The older do pick on the younger at times but they'll adjust. I have areas that the bigger birds can't get into but the younger ones can, that helps. Yes, in ideal world you would want them the same age but the younger one will grow up and it will work out in the end.

9. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok thanks guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by