mixing ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by salt and pepper, Oct 29, 2012.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm curious, if you were to mix two different colored ameraucanas (not EE ) would they technically be Easter eggers then?

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yes they would be considered ee's....granted i don't really see why besides they dont meet the standard and wouldn't be true

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    No,they'd still be Ameraucanas but the offspring would likely not be varieties that have been admitted to the Standard. This is how new varieties are created, ask the OEGB breeders. You could always call them a "project".

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    The Ameraucana standard doesn't have much wiggle room. Does the bird meet the listed standards? If yes, then you have am Amerauacna. If no, it falls under EE. Doesn't make it inferior, if a bird is an Easter Egger. But be careful, people can get pretty uppity about what is or isn't an Ameraucana, which is a bit disconcerting for new folks.

Araucanas standards are not as rabid about what is or isn't, because it can be SO hard to get a good Araucana. Just a different breed community.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    wouldn't that include coloring?

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    They would be called 'Non-Standard Ameraucanas'. Still an Am, but the colors wouldn't fit into standard.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    They are not an Ameraucana unless it is a standard color that is reproduced by breeding 2 individuals together. Calling them project birds will not make them Ams; only following the process for acceptance of a new color will do that.

8. salt and pepper

so they would still breed true with egg color, but not with feathering? which would make them a standardized ameraucana?

9. salt and pepper

oops unstandardized

10. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Yes. But watch out fot the ameraucana police. Some of them get very serious about what you call an Am or not. But if you take 1 ameraucana and cross it over another the offspring will STILL be ameraucanas, just non-standard coloring and they will still lay blue eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by