1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing batches of chicks- home and bought

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jaybme, Aug 1, 2008.

1. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkies just hatched Tuesday, [​IMG] and next Tuesday I have two more chicks arriving that I bought a loooong time ago. They will be two weeks old.

Should I keep the two groups separate for a month? They seem so young!

I asked the seller how she had kept them - inside, alone, or mixed in with others, or outside in a brooder etc, but she did not answer.

Thanks, Jaybme

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I would keep the babies separate for at least a week or maybe two depending on how they are growing. Then add them as soon as you can. The earlier the better with the chicks. Then they can grow up together. I added my one week olds to my two week olds and they did just fine. The little ones picked on the big ones but not for long [​IMG] Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    if they r 2 weeks older definately keep them seperated till the new ones r older and have had time to catch up in size. if not the older ones will pick on them, stomp them, push them out and hog feed and usually kill them. there is 2 much an age difference. even a 2-3 day differnce at that age is enough difference for them to tell who is younger and weaker.
    silkie

4. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of diseases when I posted, and had not even thought of age differences! [​IMG]

So I will keep them apart for a while, but should it be a a month due to possible diseases?

Thanks, Jaybme

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by