Mixing big girls and youngsters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Azriel, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I'm thinking of opening the youngsters pen up to the free range area. They have been penned next to the big girls for over a month now, they are just over 3 months, and are full chicken size. The smallest are the EE's, will they get picked on too much, and will the young ones know to go back to their area at night, or will everyone try to go into the big girl pen? I could lock the big girls up for a few days untill the youngersters get used to going in and out the gate, but are they smart enough to know to go back to their own area at night?

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have the same situation as you and just started letting the kids range with the big girls. If the kids have been in their coop for a while they should consider it home and will return it at nite, at least mine do. But it seems like every batch of chicks I've raised has one chick that likes to stay out later than the others and then can't find the door to the run so a little herding comes into play every nite for a few days but seems to work out in the end.
    I do have 1 bo 14 months old that still gets lost outside the run once or twice a week, she's the only one of the girls with a name " Dufus"
    I would just start letting them out later in the evening so they don't go far till they get used to putting themselves up for the nite then extend the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by