Mixing birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ReyM, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ReyM

ReyM Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    We've just started our flock and currently have black copper maran hens and one roo. Is it common to mix the birds or do you keep the different types seperate? I'm looking at cuckoo marans and just wondered if it would be ok to have the entire flock together? thanks

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    You can have a coop full of different breeds together. You do need to take steps to get new birds used to your current birds, but as far as breeds, they can be mixed. Keep in mind some smaller breeds may not mix as well with heavy breeds due to size differences.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Mixing is fine and you can have one large flock. Introducing chickens that are around the same size has been easiest for me, but when they free range even the bantams and large breeds get along (but the pecking order happens). Keeping the breeds separate would be when you want pure or certain breeds breed. I do keep the large and bantams separate coops. I have one coop with mixed chickens for variety and another coop for my pure.

4. Chiceras Dad

Chiceras Dad New Egg

May 26, 2012
    Good read, I am a new urban backyard chickenguy and wanted to grow my flock (ha) from two producing hens to 4. Got the new comers today at 14 weeks of age and will isolate for a month, all are black star!. Plan to bring together one of each pair in separate pens, then bring the pairs together... good or bad idea? Chiceras Dad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by