mixing birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cknmom, May 30, 2008.

1. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    We recently lost our last roo to coyotes. That leaves us with one older hen(we've had a bad year for our birds). We have a new feed store here and they are having their grandopening this weekend. The last time we went in there, they had ducklings. We would love some but do not have our pond built as of yet(it will probably be another year or two). Can we put ducks in with chickens? I have read where some people do and some don't reccomend it.

DH was at the feed store yesterday and they now also have chckens, guinea hens and turkey's. Can we put turkey's in with the chickens? I'm unsure about getting guinea's, we would like some but have heard that they are very noisy and have a roaming area of 25 acres! Our valley is nice and quiet, we have the typical farm and country sounds, but tractors are the loudest and are not constant. I like listening to the quiet after living in the city for so very long. I would hate to disturb everyone with constant loud sounds. I have no idea what the guineas sound like though, I keep thinking peacock sound which are very loud and keep me from getting them( I would LOVE some).

Any help???
    Monica

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    Some people here told me that you can mix almost any kind of bird with chickens except turkeys and gueinas because they could give your chickens a desiese.

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I've raised ducks and chickens together for years never had a problem. As for the rest I have no idea

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Read this, can someone tell me if this is true?

Have read in several places that turkeys shouldn't be raised even on the same farm as chickens due to a parasite or disease called blackhead. Apparently, the chickens can carry this thng without really being affected by it but it is fatal for turkeys.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    From what I've read it's true... but also I've read that it's somewhat in relation to location. Some states/towns have higher or lower or no instance of the disease. But, that's just what I've read.

6. Tricia's Triple Z

Tricia's Triple Z Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2007
    I hatched 13 Guinea Fowl a few days after they hatched I got 6 chicks. They grew up together, the live together in the same coop, they even roost together AND lay eggs in the same box. The guineas hang out in small groups or they are paired up during the day, while the darn chickens dig up my garden. It took me a year to train them to go in at night by a whistle and a bit of white millet. I do bring them all in at night. The coop is 12x12 and the enclosed outside pen is 12x24 and I have never had any problems. I was told the the Guineas rule the roost, but I would ask my hens if they beg to differ! I hoped that my babbling helped

7. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    "Have read in several places that turkeys shouldn't be raised even on the same farm as chickens due to a parasite or disease called blackhead. Apparently, the chickens can carry this thng without really being affected by it but it is fatal for turkeys."

Hmm, im not sure that this is accurate... I own turkeys and chickens that live a foot away from eachother... [​IMG]

8. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I was even told by a chicken duck expert that ducks don't really need water... except to drink.... and yes they could be put with chicks as long as they were the same age.

9. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    The parasite that causes blackheads disease is transmitted from the chicken droppings,
    to earth worms then to the turkeys. Chickens can have Black Heads disease and survive,
    but in turkeys it is usually fatal.

If there has never been an outbreak or instance of Blackheads disease in your area. Or if your stock
    is coming from a hatchery or breeder that does not have blackheads disease.
    Then it should not be a big problem to have mixed flocks.

Usually you can check with your local Ag office to see if there has been any out breaks in your area.
    If your getting your Chicks from any of the Hatcheries discussed on this board or if the Farm store
    gets theres from one, then it should not be a problem.

If you were looking to have a large flock of chickens and turkeys, then it is a very good Idea
    to keep them separated. Because if black heads disease, or any other disease gets into the flock it could
    be devastating to have so many birds become ill or die.

That said many people have mixed flocks and are successful.

10. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    Thank you all, maybe I'll come home today with some ducks and turkey's. Keep your fingers crossed. A friend is bringing us a roo next week.
    Monica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by