Mixing blue salmon faverolle and lavender araucana?

Morgank

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
Europe, Estonia
Hi!
I have no experience to mix breeds. Does anyone know what kind of birds i get if i breed blue salmon rooster with lavender araucana ( with tail, english version) What color their eggs will be?
Thanks!

I'm not sure what your blue salmon rooster looks like. Comb type, color of eggs, body conformation, any of that. Is he an Estonian breed?

I'm not that familiar with the English version if the Auracana either. My understanding is that they have a pea comb and can lay either blue or green eggs. Your version has the tail. I don't know if they have muffs or tufts. So I'm going on some guesswork.

I went to the cross calculator

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

and built a Blue Salmon rooster. I don't know how accurate that is but is the best I can do. I'm assuming the Blue is the B/B/S blue, a partially dominant gene that modifies black. Two copies at that gene pair gives you splash, one copy gives you blue, and none defaults to black. This gene only modifies black.

Your lavender is pretty easy. Lavender is a recessive gene that modifies black so if she is solid Lavender she is going to contribute solid black to the offspring. The lavender will not show up the first generation.

The Black from the Lavender hen should dominate whatever the chicks get from the rooster so you should have a solid black chick as a base. The B/B/S blue rooster will contribute a single blue gene to about half his offspring and a not-blue gene to the other half. So in color half the chicks should be black, half blue.

The pea comb on the Auracana is also partially dominant, not totally dominant. If both genes that gene pair are Pea, you get a Pea comb. If only one gene at that gene pair is Pea you get a comb that shows the Pea influence but it can look kind of wonky. I don't know what kind of comb genetics your rooster is contributing so I can't say what the chicks' combs will look like but it should not be a single comb.

If your English Auracana has tufts, about half the offspring will have them, half will not. If it has muffs all the offspring should show muffs but they may not be very prominent. That's another of those partially dominant genes. It has an influence but sometimes not much.

What color eggs does the breed the rooster is from typically produce, brown or white? And what color egg does the Auracana lay? In any case the Auracana should provide a blue eggshell gene to all its offspring. which is a dominant gene. So all the pullets should lay either blue or green eggs.

A lot of guessing here but I'd expect solid black or blue chicks and the pullets all laying colored eggs.

Yeah you are right. I did not notice in the title that the rooster is a Favorelle. So feather-legged, single comb, muffed, five-toed, light cream eggs.

So still half black and half blue chicks. All should have a muff. If the Araucana is laying a blue egg, probably light green eggs from the pullets. If the Araucana eggs are green them they can be darker. The chicks should have a wonky pea comb. Feather-legged and five toes are both dominant so they chicks should have these features. But these can have funny effects. Sometimes the feathering is not all that heavy. Sometimes the number of toes is not pure, occasionally you can get five toes on one foot and four on the other.

I dont have my araucana chicken photo, its storm outside, no able to take a photo. But i have in my computer same english version lavender araucana rooster, this cockerel has been sold, but here's what the chicken looks like (siblings)
This araucana lays blue eggs.

Attachments

• DSC07337.JPG
    DSC07337.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 41
Yeah you are right. I did not notice in the title that the rooster is a Favorelle. So feather-legged, single comb, muffed, five-toed, light cream eggs.

So still half black and half blue chicks. All should have a muff. If the Araucana is laying a blue egg, probably light green eggs from the pullets. If the Araucana eggs are green them they can be darker. The chicks should have a wonky pea comb. Feather-legged and five toes are both dominant so they chicks uld have these features. But these can have funny effects. Sometimes the feathering is not all that heavy. Sometimes the number of toes is not pure, occasionally you can get five toes on one foot and four on the other.
Ok, I thought so, this is bad idea- one foot 5 toes and other 4 toes!? Ok, thanks I'm not gonna mix.

It really doesn't happen that often, I would not let that slim possibility stop me. Though I don't know you goals.
I just saw another breeder photos, there were splash faverolle cockerels (all white with rusty color splashes) Everyone had 5 toes. I asked about parents. He mixed salmon faverolle rooster and dominant brown hens (some common country breed) I just thought to give a try. But i have blue salmon faverolle hens too, so I'm not going to risk. I also get interesting colors from them.

Back
Top Bottom