Mixing Bobwhite and Coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sweetjelly, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Sweetjelly

Sweetjelly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    I have 5 coturnix and my friend is looking for a home for her lone bobwhite quail. Can these two be kept together? I'm not sure what the sex is of the bobwhite but I have 1 male and 4 female coturnix ( and a batch of 3 week old babes). I wanted to give the lone bobwhite a nice home where he/she won't be stressed. Any suggestions?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bob + Coturnix= Quail Wars

Much Bad Juju Here In Most Cases. Funny Part Is... If They're 12 Wks Old Or Older I'd Put My Money On The Lone Bob In Most Scenarios. Most New World Quail Such As Bobs Are Very Agressive To Their Own And Other Speces... These Guys Are The Junkyard Dogs Of The Quail World. On An Agression Scale Of 1-10 Coturnix Rate About 0.5, And The Average Bob Is Somewhere Around 7.9 When Asleep... Just Gets Worse If They Are Awake.

Of Course There's Always Exceptions To Rules, And Space Would Be Critical... If They Are In A Massive Pen Or Planted Aviary Where The Bob Could Go Do Its Thing.. Might Work? But I Caution Against It. Also If The Case Is Just Right They Can Crossbreed

3. Sweetjelly

Sweetjelly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    OH MY! I had NO idea!! Thanks so much for the info...no way will I stress my team out with a Bobwhite...they are all happy and harmonious. I was just feeling sorry for the lonely little guy but not at the expense of my little peeps.

You've been most helpful...AGAIN!

Thank you!!

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    If you had OTHER pens you could get him and a hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by