mixing bobwhite quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by De Wet, Jan 21, 2013.

1. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

hi

I just want to know if you can mixed bobwhite with canary s my avairy is 11,6 ft x3.2 ft x 6.5 ft

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    As far as disease transfer, you are pretty safe there as canaries and quail work out bacteria and virus's in a different manner. However the size difference between the species could cause issues, as well as the feed. Canaries can not eat such high protein feed gamebird food without health consequences. If you are not feeding pelleted feed to your canaries and feed them a seed diet, the quail will clean up spilled seeds and will probably skip on the gamebird food. Just some thoughts here...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. De Wet

interesting what about if i put the canary feed on top of the avairy only reachable for caanary s and other question is fly maggots dangerous for game fowl

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't know about your canaries, but my parrots spill seeds all the time, scooping with their beaks. So I would imagine no matter where you put the canaries feed, some of it is going to spill onto the ground.

Fly maggots no doubt contain worm eggs and larvae. So try to avoid this sort of thing with any birds. Keep everybody wormed if this is the case.

5. De Wet

thanks crow for all the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by