mixing breeding pens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkydragon, Aug 16, 2010.

1. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i have some chickens and am possibly gonna make breeding pens for my polish trio (the roo is a very small banty and hens look to be standards so hope they will be ok to breed since they are all whitecrested black with a black wave on the front of the crest everybody seems to like and say theyve never seen that in white crested) then i have a pair of rir was wondering if i should add another hen or 2 like buff sexlinks or cornish hen to the pen to releive the breeding pressure or if it will be ok with 1 hen and 1 rooster ill get some pics of the polish tomarrow to show the size diff becouse the banty is like extra tiny even for a banty

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    One hen to one rooster when the rooster is a big RI red is no where near enough. Ten to one might not even be enough. He would tear all the feathers off her back, and might gash her sides with his toenails and spurs. The Polish should be fine. The line of black feathers across the front of the crest is expected in white crested blacks.

3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I'd get a half dozen hens more for that RIR rooster. the sex-links seems like an ok idea. the cornish seems like a really good idea. maybe some white hens. if they have the silver gene, you'll get more sex-links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by