mixing breeds and age.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by All4JnG, Jan 22, 2014.

1. All4JnG

All4JnG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    I'm getting 4 baby silkies on Saturday they will be unsexed and only a few days old. Would they be ok with buff orpington's that are a week and a half?

2. TK421

TK421 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Central TX
    You might have some difficulties. I ordered some chicks last fall, and since a few died in shipping, I got their replacements a week later. The size difference was surprising! It was enough for the little ones to get stepped on and pushed away from food. After 2 pecks, I separated them, and I kept them in side-by-side brooders until it was time to go outside. At 3-4 weeks old, they werent as different in size. plus, in that new environment, there was no dominance and plenty of room. From then on, I could keep them together, and they mixed very well.

3. All4JnG

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    I ended up getting the silkies 12 hours after they hatched and I've been keeping them in separate brooders next to each other. Then when I cleaned theme today I let them run around together. The bigger/older chicks are buff orpington's. They are already playing the mama hen role. I'm not going to put them together (unsupervised) for a while. But I think it will be just fine when I do.
    This is Lily. [​IMG]
    and lucy who is still curious. [​IMG]
    I think Lily will be the top in the pecking order. They have been challenging each other and it seems Lily wins most of the time. She always seems to be watching out for the others especially Lucy.

4. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    They should be fine, but keep an eye on them just in case.
    I have mixed different ages before and didn't have any problems, but then every flock is different.

5. All4JnG

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    We will see. :) Hoping it goes smoothly.

6. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Good luck.

7. All4JnG

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Florida
    Thank you so much!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by