Mixing breeds in a flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LemonDoodles, Sep 13, 2011.

1. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I have two pekin drakes who are on the small side (4.8lbs and 7lbs). We are toying with the idea of getting two more boys (addicting, yes). I would love to have a Runner and a Call. I'm especially wondering about adding the Call... Is this a bad idea or should it be okay?

2. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    My mixed flock does well, but they grew up together...hopefully someone else can advise.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I added two calls to my flock of six ducks and they were pushed away, but evertually the other ducks became nice to them.

4. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    1 drake to 3 or more females. You will see why. [​IMG]

5. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I don't have any females and I wasn't thinking about adding any. Four boys wouldn't work?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Holderread says ducks are much easier to integrate than other birds but you might have trouble having a flock of bachelors that weren't raised together and I'd worry about the call getting drowned. Even if they are all males they will still attempt to mate eachother and that could prove dangerous with such a size difference.

7. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    dont add the call the pekins will kill it and dont mix the breeds.[​IMG]

8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I have one lonely call duck in with the rest of mine. He never gets picked on! I have a large variation of breeds, pekins, khakis, buff, swedish, etc. They do not pick on each other like chickens do. There is usually a little squabble when you introduce newcomers, but they get over it quickly and usually get along just fine.
    I think you are being very wise to only get drakes. You will have trouble if you put females in with all of those boys, but as long as there aren't and hens to fight over, the drakes should get along just fine [​IMG]
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by