Mixing Breeds Within a Flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eanewman, Mar 26, 2016.

1. eanewman

eanewman New Egg

Apr 17, 2015
    I purchased 4 baby chicks yesterday to add to my small backyard flock. Had 8 laying hens until last weekend when 2 disappeared. Still shedding tears over that so be easy with me. I bought 1 of each--barred rock, cuckoo maran, buff orp, and Americauna. The Americauna keeps trying to peck the Buff Orp's eyes. What the heck? Doesn't bother the other two. I have read conflicting reports on the temperament of Americaunas, but never anticipated this the first night I have them. Any way to make her stop? What should I do? Please advise me experienced chicken keepers...Liz Newman, Whitesboro, TX

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That can be common with very young chicks, they don't usually cause any damage, and they stop it after a couple of days. Make sure your brooder isn't too hot, 85-90 is a good starting temperature and I always add a few shiny glass rocks to give them something to peck at. If it continues or gets rough you can use some wire to make a jail for a few days. Sorry about losing your hens, it happens, hopefully you were able to fix whatever it was that let them get in.

3. eanewman

eanewman New Egg

Apr 17, 2015
    Thank you so much for your reply! I have tried all of your suggestions and it already seems to have improved somewhat. You are right...she didn't appear to be doing any harm, but I had no idea if it would get worse. I'll continue to keep a watchful eye and again thank you for taking the time to give me some advice on this situation. I really need a full-time chicken advisor...lol

As far as the loss of 2 of my hens, they were out free ranging when it occurred. So far my coop has been secure, except for a snake. They just disappeared...no noise or ruckus or anything. Just a few feathers noted on the edge of the woods. I will not let them out so freely anymore. Thanks for your understanding...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hopefully your feisty chick will calm down. Some like pecking at eyes and occasionally I get one that's convinced that the other chicks toes are worms and will continually grab toes, both are frustrating situations.

I have lost chickens in the same manner, the usual suspects are Fox, coyotes, and hawks. Since you lost two in one day it was probably a coyote. They will keep coming back to find more. We have dealt with them before, it's not easy losing any of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by