Mixing breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ForTheLoveOfFarming, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ForTheLoveOfFarming

ForTheLoveOfFarming In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2018
    Newberry, SC
    Hi! I have 3 Barred Rocks and 3 Rhode Island Reds. I want to get 3 Ameraucanas and 3 Buff Orpingtons as well. Does anyone know if it's ok to mix these breeds?

Spartan22 and Better Than Rubies like this.
  2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    All what you’ve mentioned are in my flock and they’re all doing ok coexisting. I got 3 Barreds, 7 RIR, 7 Ameraucanas and couple of buffs and 10 other more breeds and they’re good as long as you have plenty of room and introduce them in timely manner.

DaviJones likes this.
  3. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    I don't see why not as long as they're properly integrated. Go right ahead! I absolutely love my two Orps and Easter Egger!

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Do make sure you have enough room in your coop and run. The two breeds you currently have can be bullies. As DaviJones said, take care integrating.

puffypoo22 likes this.
  5. ForTheLoveOfFarming

ForTheLoveOfFarming In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2018
    Newberry, SC
    Thanks everyone! They are still week old chicks at this point! I'm just starting out. We live on a medium-sized old farm from the 20's that hasn't been in use since the 80's. We are fixing them up a barn and fenced in small area and then going to introduce them to a fenced in larger area after they get used to the small area and know where to nest so we don't have to go on a Easter Egg hunt every day! Haha So eventually they will have enough space you can technically call them free-range during the day but will have a good sized safe place at night, too.

puffypoo22 and sylviethecochin like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: