Mixing breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by auntiepoohnh, Mar 31, 2009.

1. auntiepoohnh

auntiepoohnh New Egg

Dec 31, 2007
    Derry, NH
    I'm sure this question has been asked before and is somewhere in the archives, but I couldn't find it, so I apologize for the redundancy.

My son and I are getting ready to start a new flock. We have raised chickens for about the past 10 years and have had some flocks that were extremely pecky with eachother and only one flock of black sex-links that didn't peck at all. My son thinks the pecking issues are due to mixing different breeds together and wants to limit this flock to only 1 or 2 breeds. I really like to mix my flock. (I always feel like a kid in a candy store when I am picking breeds...I want some of everything!) and I love the sight of all those pretty hens foraging around the backyard.

I'd really love some feedback from some of you folks. What is your opinion on mixing breeds? If you do mix them, do you try to keep them all of a similar weight/size?

Your imput would be very much appreciated. TIA.

2. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I like my mixes and their mutt offspring. Like the colors of the rainbow.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

That`s a good question. Many things contribute to pecking, cannibalism, fighting, and general unrest in a flock, but color and size has never enterred into it, at least in my mind. Age, stress, crowding, diet, breed, and just plain old meanness are a few of the things that can affect unrest and/or agression. I also enjoy the colors in the yard.......Pop

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a mixed flock and don't have any issues with picking. The biggest factor in picking is overcrowding.

I think it would be fine to mix your flock (within reason... you need to stick with birds comparable in size) just be sure to make sure they aren't overcrowded.

5. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have only 2 breeds right now, but I have choosen them by their tempraments. I am getting another breed soon and have choosen another docile breed to go with mine. I don't think it's a great idea to put agressive breeds with the more docile breeds. IMHO

6. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I to have all different breeds with no problems. There is a little fussing when new ones come home but that quickly ends.

Good luck and go for color!!!!!!!

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The Henderson Breed Chart gives some general comments about the temperment of breeds, but it is very dependent on the individual chicken. For example, I've read on here from some posters that their RIR's are the worst they have seen for pecking, yet others insist their RIR's are the sweetest ever. Luck has something to do with it.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I'll keep chickens of a similar size purely because I want a dual purpose chicken. I would not expect any additional problems from them being different breeds or sizes. The problems will come form the individual temperment of the individual chickens. I'd add too much heat or too much light to Lollipop's list of possible contributing factors.

8. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    I have five different breeds and a few mutts in my flock.
    They are doing great.
    Sometimes the smaller ones get pecked a little more but for the most part they do fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by