1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing Breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Birdygirl, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Birdygirl

Birdygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    we have two banties right now that are about 1 yr old. We are going to get some standards soon(about 25) and want to know at what point can we introduce the banties to the other baby chicks. Is it necessary to house them separatly as they grow??
    Also when we first got the banties they were sick for about 2 weeks, not sure what they had but we fed them Terramycin and they got better. Can they be carriers to the standards at this point in time??
    Or can we gradually put them together?
    Thanks!!

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I'm not a vet by any means, but if your banties have been well for a year now, I would say it is safe as far as carrier status. I've read some threads here that have stated it has taken 6 months or better of side by side with fencing in between for chickens to accept new members. I wish you the best of luck though and let us know how things turn out.

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    Quote:if you have any fear, i would get them tested.

i'm assuming the 25 are going to be day olds. i don't introduce my chicks to my older guys until they are old enough to be able to defend themselves.

i have babies that are almost 8 weeks old right now. about a month from now, i'll be ready to let them free range with surpervision. and they'll be out there with the older hens and my dogs. but they'll still sleep in their own pen until i feel comfortable they'll be okay sleeping in the big pen with the older chickens.

with just two banties, your process could probably go a little faster since it's harder for 2 to pick on 25. but the two may find a favorite to pick on. when you decide to put them together, i would make sure it's always surpervised for at least a week.

4. toripeeps

toripeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I also have six white leghorns about 8 weeks old that are already in coop I have five bantams that are 4 weeks old and would like to put in coop in about another 2 -3 weeks. 3 of the bantams are roosters ( i think) will I have any problems with the size differnce ? or should I wait until bantams are bigger? Will they be able to take care of themselves?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by