Mixing breeds???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ajlynco, Oct 26, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I'm going to get a dozen day-olds, and originally it was going to be 6 RIRs and 6 BRs. Now I'm thinking of getting 6 Pearl White Leghorns (for white egg production). I'll still get 3 RIRs and 3 BRs, totaling 12. My concern is that the Leggerns will get along OK with the others. I've read that Leggerns are a somewhat nervous and flighty bird. I don't want chaos in my hendom and will stick with my original plan if they can't get along. Thoughts from anyone??? [​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I have 2 leghorns with 2 white rocks and 2 sex links And 3 silkies. they get along fine and flighty all they like to do is jump over fences and mine sure ain't scared or anything. [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They should get along fine. In any flock, whether mixed or all of the same breed, you can get some hens that are just bullies. Each chicken has its own personality so you never know. If you crowd them into the minimum space you are a bit more likely to have conflict and chaos in your hendom, but that can happen with any breed. I think you will be as good with that mix as any other mix or even one breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by