Mixing breeds.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fly Be Free, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    I know that many mix breeds in same size or comprable size birds but can a bantam roo breed a standard size hen? Like a sexlink??

I'm so green at this it isn't funny. :( Heck I'm already working "white trash" status LOL I think Mr. Stinky (my buck pigmy) bred his momma.[​IMG] Lil horndog!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They sure can try!! :p

I haven't seen my bantam silkie rooster actually accomplish mating my full sized hens. If they squatted for him, I'm sure he could. They seem to like the bigger boy better, and vice versa. He likes his bantam girls.

A sexlink, I would say yes. They are not huge to begin with, so it's possible.

Chickens don't have the morals that we do! :lau

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Many years ago, my wife did some geneology research and found that we are probably related through Daniel Boone's grandfather. My son, 16 at the time, wanted to know if that made him a redneck?

Not all sex links are small. Some hatcheries sell commercial egg laying chickens as sex links. These are generally small. Since they are commercial egg laying breeds, they efficiently have most of the feed they eat going to egg production instead of having to maintain a larger body. Some hatcheries cross two dual purpose breeds to make their sex links. These birds will be the same size as other dual purpose breeds. Some of us make sex links from the breeds we have on hand. These can be any size.

Not all bantams are the same size either. Some are a lot bigger than others.

I agree, a bantam rooster will try to mate a full sized hen. It does not always work. but they are more often successful than many people give them credit for. The more difference in size, the less likely it will be successful. It is not a yes or no question, but more of a maybe.

4. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks Ya'll. I kinda figured if there is a "will" there is a "way". LOL I've not seen him take to her. He pretty much ignores her to be honest.

For a while I thought he was gay. He and the other bantam rooster would pal around the yard together and totally ignore the girls. Wouldn't even return to the coop at night but preferred to sleep together by the pool. So NOT gonna get babies like that. I fixed that little problem and now they are separated. [​IMG] Eversince lil red roo is chatting up a storm to his wifey. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by