Mixing breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChefAmanda55, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ChefAmanda55

ChefAmanda55 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    I am getting ready for my first flock. I have fond memories of taking care of chickens when I was a child and now I finally have the space to have my own. I was thinking about getting 6 New Hampshire Reds and 6 Barred Rocks. Does anyone have these breeds together? I dont want any problems with them getting along.... is this okay or should I stick with one breed? Also, will they be the same size? Thanks for your help!

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    They should be fine! Both are pretty Docile birds that lay fairly well. Good luck on your birds!

Nate

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

x2

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I have 2 RIR and 1 barred rock in a mixed flock. They all get along just fine.

5. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I have a NH and a BR together-they get along great!

6. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've got RIR and BR, along with EE, Black Sex Link, Red Sex Link, Wyandottes and Leghorns, all get along with each other. When they come as chicks for the most part, they've been in that box for a couple days, they all know each other by then

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I agree with everyone that they will be fine. I have a mixed flock with many different breeds. They get along fine.

Regarding your question about size: The Barred Rocks will likely be a little bigger but not significently bigger.

8. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have 8 chickens all different breeds and they are all different ages. They get along great, my bantam cochin is the head girl.

9. ChefAmanda55

ChefAmanda55 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Thanks everyone!

10. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    8 Buff Orps, 8 Australorps, 8 RIR's, 4 BBB Turkeys. All get along great. I cant wait to see what my mixed breed flock will look like in a couple years. All 3 breeds are good egg layers and big enough for meat and friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by