Mixing breeds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bruins, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Bruins

Bruins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Frederick Co, MD
    I was planning on getting brahma but the 3 colors are not available the same day . I also like the wyandotte ( silver lace & golden lace) . The wyandotte will be available the same day the brahma are . Will both these breeds get along well together ?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, Wyandottes and Brahmas will get along fine. Pretty much all large fowl birds will do well together. You can run into problems with bantams, silkies and Polish in a large fowl flock, but if they're all large fowl breed doesn't matter hugely.

3. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    All my chickens freerange during the day together and that goes from my biggest Rhode Island Roosters to the smallest Serama hens. The thing you want to avoid is having one oddball in a flock. Having a good mix is the way to go in my opinion.

4. HickoryHollow

HickoryHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Bolivar, Ohio
    Funny you say that. I just put 2 Delaware in with 12 Golden buffs just to see what they would do. The buffs immediately started picking on the Delawares. A week later I sold 8 of the Buffs. I moved 12 Delawares in with the 4 remaining Buffs. They have behaved just fine now.

5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    It's funny isn't it? On the flip side, I had a tiny little game rooster get into the big laying pen one time and NOBODY messed with him. He was one tough little cookie and after he fought the big roosters a few times, he had a place at the trough like everybody else and he would even get fresh with the hens like he was one of the boys.

Attitude is everything [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by