Mixing chick breeds in brooder??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jhc93, Apr 1, 2015.

1. jhc93

jhc93 New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Big clifty , Ky
    I got my first set of chicks today, I got 3 white Cornish and 3 americaunas from tractor supply, tomorrow I'm getting 10 of different breeds from the feed store (not sure what breeds she's gettin till there here). Is it ok to be mixing breeds of different sizes in the brooder and to mix both sets since they came from different places??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chicks are usually disease free since few diseases are transferred vertically.
    However, often people with chicken handle chicks at feed stores so they can be infected that way.
    Otherwise, mixing breeds while brooding isn't a problem. When they're young, I often mix chicks as much as a month apart in age. You need a lot of space though. No tiny brooders.

3. jhc93

jhc93 New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Big clifty , Ky
    Thanks so much! I have these six in a Rubbermaid right now in the house but it's because I'm a little worried they'll live. The guy at tractor supply " forgot to turn on" the heat lamp when he first fot there. There all moving and eating and drinking right now so I think there ok. Were building a larger brooder today for when the rest come home tomorrow!

4. jhc93

jhc93 New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Big clifty , Ky
    I have a red light heat lamp on them in the Rubbermaid.[​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In a smallish container, a heat lamp may be overkill. Make sure there is a cool space for them to escape to. I took a trip once and had a friend housesit. I had 2 day old chicks in a Rubbermaid on the back porch. My friend cooked the chicks.

If I brood in the cellar, I use Lowes large moving boxes. They're about $1.50 each and I cut door ways between them. I put the heat source in one and food/water in another.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have a mixture of chicks I just moved to the coop. I got one half one week and the other half about 10 days latter and they were fine together. I have
    6 barred rocks
    4 ee's
    2 leghorns
    1 welsummer
    4 wyandottes
    2 lt brahma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by