1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing Chick Breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kcallis, Jan 18, 2009.

1. kcallis

kcallis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Florida
    I am getting three RIR chicks next week, and really want a little bantam too. If I start them all off as chicks, can I raise them together? I'm worried that once the RIR get bigger than the bantam, they may start pecking at her?

2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I think it would be more about attitude than size, I have heard, though not from personal experience, that because Buff Orpingtons are so gentle, and docile, though relatively big in size, they can still be bullied by other chickens.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    My Mom has a bantam roo that rules the roost. There are rir's, ancona, other mixed breeds. He is sappy for sure, Tried the other day to get her when she gathered her eggs. He grew up with them too. She did not have a problem with it. Jean

4. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If they are all started at the same time, you can mix any breeds. You won't have any extra pecking order problems than if they were all the same breed.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. You can mix. A lot of people do. The birds, no matter, will still establish their pecking order.

6. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Hey, kcallis! [​IMG] Mixing has worked well for me - it works best if you start them together at the same time. The my pet chicken site has some helpful info on the general characteristics of chicken personalities (www.mypetchicken.com) that might help you select breeds. But, as will all generalizations, there are exceptions.

My flock of hens is "ruled" by two buff orpingtons! Saffron and Strawberry are NOT to be messed with! [​IMG] They aren't mean - just very sure of themselves - [​IMG] ! All web info suggests that they are more docile than other large breeds - so I guess they are the exceptions!

But all in all, the ones started together, although they do have a pecking order, seem to get along fine. [​IMG] Have fun!!!

7. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I've always mixed different breed chicks with no problem banty chicks along with heavy breed chicks grew up fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by