Mixing chicks from different sources

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nbelval, Feb 22, 2013.

1. nbelval

nbelval Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2012
    Southern NH
    I have an order placed for chicks from Meyer Hatchery, they had everything I wanted except for one color variation.
    Our local feed store has the color I'm looking for. So I wanted to know if it was safe to place them all in the same brooder or not?
    I did a search and found that different ages as long as they are within a couple weeks of each other do okay, but what about the fact that they are coming from two different hatcheries? Is there anything I should ask the feed store other than who their supplier is and research them? Just didn't know if this is something people do all the time or if it's not recommended.
    Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!
    Can't wait to get my fluffy babies!

Nicole

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    You have not mentioned whether or not the chicks from the hatchery are vaccinated for Marek's or not. If they are then beware of what you do. Last season I purchased birds from 3 different sources. One being our local TS store. The ones I ordered were all vaccinated for Marek's, the ones from TS were not, even though I was assured they had been. I now have Marek's in my flock as well as losing over 85 birds and counting....

If you have not ordered your birds vaccinated from Meyers, I still wouldn't put anything with them. Unfortunately, some hatcheries just seem to continue to have issues with their chicks and it isn't safe to put them with a group from another. Bio-security is your best friend if you want a healthy flock with the least amount of loss.

1 person likes this.
  3. nbelval

nbelval Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2012
    Southern NH
    Thanks! Yes they will be vaccinated for Mareks. I did inquire at the feed store and the people weren't able to give me a consistent answer on if the chicks came from one hatchery or several and if they were vaccinated or not. As much as I would love some Frizzles and Blue Cochins I will stick with the group I'm getting its simply not worth the risk.

4. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    I wouldn't risk mixing them.
    That's just me but if I had a problem I would want to know exactly where the source was.

5. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Good for you!!! Sometimes it's better to wait and see. There are some very good hatcheries out there that do make an effort to provide chicks with the best chances possible. Get your first batch 'growed up' a bit and then think about adding later. I now have to keep anything new seperate for 6 months to a year if I want any to survive what is now here.

Good luck to you!

6. BTinks

BTinks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm wondering about this too. My current chicks are not vaccinated and I was thinking about getting a couple Black Copper Maran chicks from a local breeder... Would this work better since the breeder will be able to tell me whether or not the Marans are vaccinated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by