Mixing chicks of different ages

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TracyLK, Jun 5, 2011.

1. TracyLK

TracyLK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    We got six chicks 2 weeks ago they are now 3 and 4 week olds: a buff Orphington ( 4 weeks ), 2 silkies (4 weeks ), an Easter Egger bantam ( 4 weeks ), and 2 blue Cochins (3 weeks ). Yesterday we got 1 week old batam Cochins (2) and a Silkie. We introduced them and m Easter eggerwas picking on them mainly the Cochins and when I seperate her from the rest my buff Orphington ( who is my favorite) picks on them. Out of my 2 new Cochins they mainly pick on the buff one. I feel horrible. What can I do to help the situation. At this point I am debating rehoming my two new Cochins, which I really don't want to do, but I feel horrible for them. Is there hope that it will get better with time or should I just rehome now ? I know they have to establish a pecking order but it is just don't right being a bully and I don't want harm to be done. Please help!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If your brooder is big enough, you could divide it. That way they can all see each other but no one gets picked on. The pecking order can be pretty brutal, but its a part of everyday chicken life. With a little more time to become used to each other I'm sure they could all become buddies. Good luck!

3. TracyLK

Apr 15, 2011
    Thank you for your feedback. About how long until the pecking order has been established. I just feel horrible because they just keep picking om the one and she is just helpless. It is just breaking my heart and making me so mad.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I did this and I HAD to separate them in two seperate brooders. It's a month later and I'm just starting the integrating process. It's not easy whatsoever. I Just put the wire dog kennel in the coop last week. I have 5 in there and 3 running in the coop. I guess it could take a month or so to integrate. Just about everybody says to wait until they are roughly the same size, i started earlier. Since I also have a bantam, there is a huge size difference. I'm a week into the process and all three of the older girls hate the newcomers. However, I have noticed progress! I sit with them through out the day and have them run together. I intervene all pecking.

Your going to have to separate them and integrate them later. Using a wire divider in the brooder is the best solution. I didn't have that option. Good luck. My cochin is growing fast and is going to be very big.lol. The older ones pick on her the least.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Also, my Easter egger Sunshine is the worst of the three when it comes to pecking the babies.

6. TracyLK

Apr 15, 2011
    Well I just separated them. I have them all in a pack n play and I just put on old screen window down the center. Everyone s no happy because the space is smaller but they will adapt, as they have plenty of room. My new Silkie wad doing fine with the other older girls but I put her with my new bantam Cochins and hoping that intergrating in bigger numbers will help the newbies. So to say the least that new Silkie is trying to find every possible way to escape to the other side. I am hoping to integrate them in a week or two befor they all head outside.

7. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    I have two d'uccles and a little black silkie that I'm integrating....they are three weeks younger than my original 6. It's been difficult but I see progress. I keep them in 'protective custody' in the coop with the others, as I have a large cage they go in at night. During the day they all go outside together and there is a little chasing and pecking but it's getting better and better. My older silkie is the worst - she actually bit the little silkie yesterday. It was awful. Poor little thing just runs and hides. I was advised that if the little ones are too young to try to stand up to the older ones, I should keep them separated. Once the little ones get to where they will make an attempt to stand up for themselves, it should be safer to let them try to integrate in the coop. Don't know if that helps but that was from a seasoned veteran. [​IMG] Sounds like your babies are just too young at this point. (My youngest are 5 weeks)

8. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    yeah i have 5 2wk old chicks and 5 newly hatched chicks and i put them in there to see what would happen i had the back door open of course in case i had to safe them and i did as soon as the barred rock chicks came back and saw the new ones they start bulling on them one grabbed the chicks foot and dragged him! i quickly scooped up the new chicks and took them back in i was afraid that would happen so im gonna have to move my broody white rock hen back into the chicken house to use the other chick brooder im thinking of running ad in paper to sell them if i can ever manage to get more than 10 chicks hatched i need 60 to 80 chicks

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by