Mixing chicks one month apart.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flash534, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Flash534

Flash534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    I will soon be having a new batch of chicks popping out of the bator. Trouble is, I have other chicks that hatched a month ago. Bad idea to mix ? Do I need to create a second brooder real quick? I thought about placing a "can't we all just get along"' bumper sticker in with them. Not sure if they will head the advice or not. For some reason I kinda doubt it...

2. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I mix chicks very easily up to 2 weeks apart but I think 1 month may be too much. I would let the "newborns" grow for a week or two before mixing and watch them very closely. Sounds like you need a second brooder [​IMG]

Good Luck!
    Trish

3. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Id wait till they were big enough to defend themselvs a litttle before putting them in with the old guys...... second brooder it is [​IMG] luck!

4. just271

just271 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Georgia
    I have 35 chicks that range from 1 month to 2 months in age. In the past I had a 1'x2' brooder and I would put no more than a few chicks in it. I built a bigger brooder that' 5'x5' and it works perfect. The only thing is, need to have plenty of food, water and roost for the chicks chicks.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I mixed with a 3-week gap from oldest to youngest but they were all coming together at once on neutral turf. I also provided plenty of space, multiple feed/water stations, and hiding places for the smaller ones. It worked out fine. In your situation, however, I wouldn't do it because the older ones have already established that brooder as theirs and the new ones will be (defenseless) intruders.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I mixed age difference by 8 weeks you just have to over a weekend introduce them in a separate cage for a bit and let them out while you are there for a bit to watch or at night just open up the brooder and they will wake up with them in the morning and just another day attitude and let em out together

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by