Mixing chicks with chicks

Haha. The attached kid is the hard part. Telling her one can't stay. How does it work out keeping 2? They're already at it so probably not good.
My kids were 4 and 6 when we butchered our first. I was even younger myself back in my day, we always had chickens for meat as well as for eggs. Kids can learn and get used to anything 😁 It’s good for them to know where their food comes from. Those chicken fingers on their plate don’t grow on trees. Knowing the truth teaches them respect for the animal that provided them with their meal. And maybe they’ll grow up into caring individuals who’ll fight to fix the cruel ag business and get better living conditions for the production animals.

Keeping 2 roosters who want to kill each other isn’t any better for a kid. There could be blood, raw injuries, slow death. Might as well go with the circle of life lesson and a nice meal or two instead.

I would not keep any roosters with kids around though. Kids and roosters don’t mix well. Success stories are rare and not worth the risk.

My kids were 4 and 6 when we butchered our first. I was even younger myself back in my day, we always had chickens for meat as well as for eggs. Kids can learn and get used to anything 😁 It’s good for them to know where their food comes from. Those chicken fingers on their plate don’t grow on trees. Knowing the truth teaches them respect for the animal that provided them with their meal. And maybe they’ll grow up into caring individuals who’ll fight to fix the cruel ag business and get better living conditions for the production animals.

Keeping 2 roosters who want to kill each other isn’t any better for a kid. There could be blood, raw injuries, slow death. Might as well go with the circle of life lesson and a nice meal or two instead.

I would not keep any roosters with kids around though. Kids and roosters don’t mix well. Success stories are rare and not worth the risk.
I'd have to agree on all that. The last one we had was an amazing boy. Silver laced wyandotte. He was so great with her and us. Then within a week he started to be very agressive with the hens and then tried to attack her twice. After that he had to go.

I'd have to agree on all that. The last one we had was an amazing boy. Silver laced wyandotte. He was so great with her and us. Then within a week he started to be very agressive with the hens and then tried to attack her twice. After that he had to go.
It's extra sad if the rooster was nice and then all of a sudden turns mean. There's more to explain to the kid - that she didn't do anything wrong to anger him, that he doesn't hate her, that he's not a "bad" chicken all of a sudden. It's natural, but hard to explain. And he can really break your heart, if you raised him from a chick, loved him and got attached. It can feel like betrayal. Better to get rid of him before the hormones really hit and turn him from a sweet boy into a murder machine. None of ours got to the point of aggression before we processed them, so the kids only have fond memories of them being sweet. It's still sad, but at least you spare them a whole bunch of extra emotions, and you part on good terms.

It's extra sad if the rooster was nice and then all of a sudden turns mean. There's more to explain to the kid - that she didn't do anything wrong to anger him, that he doesn't hate her, that he's not a "bad" chicken all of a sudden. It's natural, but hard to explain. And he can really break your heart, if you raised him from a chick, loved him and got attached. It can feel like betrayal. Better to get rid of him before the hormones really hit and turn him from a sweet boy into a murder machine. None of ours got to the point of aggression before we processed them, so the kids only have fond memories of them being sweet. It's still sad, but at least you spare them a whole bunch of extra emotions, and you part on good terms.
That makes sense. We've never processed any animals. I don't think I could eat one. She knows it wasn't her fault. She saw him be mean to the hens. I do agree with getting rid of them before the agression. I hear stories of people having awesome chill roosters. I guess we were hoping that would be us. 😢

UPDATE....
Moved all chicks into a 42 x 96 indoor pen. 2 roosters immediately went after the little ones. I tried to let them sort it out but didn't stop. So they are together in a bachelor pad (old brooder) and doing well. The older pullets in the new pen try to assert themselves over the Orps but those little sweethearts are so fast they run away. Lol. I love those chicks. They're so friendly. The big ones tend to hang out in one end and the Orps in the other. I'll take pictures tomorrow. Is that normal that they would stay in their "cliques"?

Back
Top Bottom