Mixing Chicks..with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bragabit, Mar 31, 2009.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    We bought our first baby chicks 2 weeks ago.

3 Black Sex-Links
    1 straight Run

One week later I am completely smitten with pictures online of the Buff O's and so I go and buy:

3 Buff Orp's
    1 Rhoade Island Red
    1 White Leghorn

So when we added the Day olds to the week olds there was a litte bit of pecking (not much) but they are all happy friends now.

Well I don't know what possessed me but I called the feed store and on Friday they are getting in Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers. I ordered 2 of each...I think I have a problem..eh? So we will be getting the babies on Friday. Do you think there will be any problem with the 2 week olds and the day olds? The Brooder is HUGE its a long silver horse waterer. It has three different heat lamps with different temps. Anything to do to prevent problems?

Oh and I think my outdoor coup is going to be maxed out so no more chickies for me [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Uh oh, somebody else has gotten chick fever! [​IMG]

I'd probably put a wire divider in the tank, so they can see each other and get aquainted that way. The only thing that worries me is the possibility of bringing in desease with another new batch. I'm not sure if they should be quarantined or not.

Maybe someone else has an idea?

3. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    I've not been around here long enough to know but I'd think if they were coming from a hatchery I'd be comfortable about them being disease free. I'd do what the previous poster said about the divider so they can get used to each other first.

4. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    True, because there is a lot of difference in strength and aggression with 2-3 week olds and day olds not to mention size difference. The divider sounds like a good idea though.

vortec

5. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have chicks one and two weeks old together. Of course, I am home all day and I can watch them. However, I give them stuff to do and keep them busy. Not time for picking on one another. They are all getting along very well. When they sleep, they lay all over each other like little kittens. [​IMG]

I love when you give them little mealworms and they run and scream their heads off. [​IMG] But then, I make sure that everyone gets some worms. [​IMG] Hey, try that with 25 chicks. I only have four. [​IMG]

At my house, I have instructed visitors that we do not call them chicks or chickens. They are BIRDS just in case the neighbors are listening. [​IMG] We is city folks. [​IMG]

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Sometimes depending on breeds you can do it, it is safer to temporarily divide them. I can place sizzles with dels, and anything younger with either. But the BA's after a point get intolerant. I've had good and bad luck with batches of barred and PRs. It appears then to depend on the temperament of the group.

I'm going to keep my sizzles in here rotating with the hatches. They're hugely careful with the babies and I think it's a good way to keep them flexible.

Delawares are never staying indoors past two weeks because they are insanely active and loud even if they are sweet. The BA's will go out with the Dels because otherwise they'll get tough on younger ones. Humility is good for them they'll be half the size of the Dels out there.

It's a matter of observation and practice. Good luck and ....

YOU CAN ALWAYS BUILD ANOTHER COOP....

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have a mixture of ages in my brooder and it hasn't been a problem at all. The little ones look up to the older ones and the older ones seem to take care of the little ones.

8. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Well my older ones love the younger ones. They are always snuggled together. I love how they even put their wings over the smallest. Its so sweet!

9. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Well I guess I have greedy chicks then, lol. The older bigger ones throw the little chicks out of the way when its feeding time, and usually the older and the younger groups will sleep seperate with a few exceptions. The younger ones are growing and more able to fight back now so they are all growing closer, which is a good thing.

vortec

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by