Mixing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FlyingGarlic, Feb 26, 2016.

1. FlyingGarlic

FlyingGarlic New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    There is a store near me that sells a variety of chicks over a two month period. When they come in to their store they are a week old. It just so happens that next week, they have Wellsummer available. Then, two weeks later they have Ameraucana pullets and finally a week later they have Slikies available.

I would like to purchase 3:2:1. Is it ok or safe to raise them all together in the chick brooder? Or would they be too far apart in age?

I did search through some posts to see if this question was answered already but I couldn't find one that quite matched.

Thank you.

2. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Should be ok, last year I did something very similar and we didn't have any issues. The only advice I would give you is to make sure you have plenty of room for them in the brooder, we started with too small a brooder and they would pick on each other a little but once we expanded the brooder they all got along great.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

The Wellies and EE should be fine, but I'm not so sure about the silkie. If it's just one bird, being younger, and you're only getting one, I could see that being an issue. Not only as a chick in the brooder, but as part of a mixed flock. Silkies don't always do well with more assertive breeds, and I'd think having just one would increase the chances of it getting picked on. Not to be an enabler or anything, but I'd either nix the silkies or get more than one [​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    ^ Agreed. I'd either mark them off my list altogether or maybe go 2:2:2. Or even better just add an extra Silkie to what you're already thinking 3:2:2.

1 person likes this.
  5. FlyingGarlic

FlyingGarlic New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your advice. I am most excited about the Silkies and have nooo prob getting more! LOL

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Good advice so far. We all have different experiences. Many people have never had a problems mixing chicks with this difference in age. I once had a two week old chick kill its hatchmate, also two weeks old. The broody hen did nothing to stop it. You are dealing with living animals so no one can tell you what will happen. Some chicks and chickens are just bullies and brutes but most do get along.

I think the larger brooder is a great idea. Extra room never hurts, but if you do have a problem, you have the flexibility to do something about it, maybe section off a part of the brooder to keep them together yet separate. I don’t anticipate you having any problems but it’s best to be prepared.

7. genericusername

genericusername Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    We never had a problem. Until they get to be about 2 or 3 months old, our chickens have been very mellow with newcomers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by