Mixing chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TikiRoost6, Mar 28, 2017.

1. TikiRoost6

TikiRoost6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I have 6 chicks of different breeds that are about 2.5 weeks old. If I wanted to add some younger ones to my current flock...will they pick on each other?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    How much younger? If you are talking day olds I would wait until the day olds are older before trying to mix them....

3. TikiRoost6

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Thank you!! What if the new chicks are about the same age or about a week older?

4. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Like mixing your two weeks with some 3 weeks? That could be fine, just keep an eye on them to watch for bullying and stepping on the smaller ones or things like that. Try reading up on some of our threads here on integrating chicks together for some more tips to prevent fighting and such :)

5. TikiRoost6

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Thank you. I'm worried we might have 2 cockerels & my husband doesn't want any roosters so I was looking to add to my flock if we have to re-home a couple. Or just add to my flock anyway...[​IMG]

6. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    If you post some pictures here we could try and help you identify if you do indeed have some roosters :)

7. TikiRoost6

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I posted in another thread & a lot of people said they were still too young to tell.[​IMG] Here's a pic to compare...(I'm worried the one on the left is a too) They're about 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

8. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    They are really really young to say for certain. I can see why you think it could be a roo but I would wait before rehoming :)

9. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I've mixed chicks as much as 3 weeks apart, but you have to watch them because the older chicks will peck the day olds on the head from time to time - sometimes, just checking them out, but it's still something the day olds don't like. If it happens too much, you may have to brood them separately for a while, then put them together when you put them outside. Eventually, they will integrate, although they tend to hang with the chicks they were raised with as a subgroup of a larger flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by