Mixing chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lil'chickies, Mar 4, 2009.

1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Ok. I know this has probably already been asked. Is it safe to mix week old chicks with day old ones?

2. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    It is safe for you;) As far as the chicks go it depends on the chicks, if the day olds are bantams and the week olds are broilers, than the answer is no... If they are both the same size/type than a week is not too much of a head start that you would worry too much about injury from trampling.

3. hooksetz

hooksetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I do, but you have to watch them at first, sometimes they'll single one out , and if that happens they'll need to be seperated. I wouldn't go with anymore size difference than that though.

4. hooksetz

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Trampling shouldn't be an issue if you've the right atmosphere. I can hold 100 chicks in my brooder and I've never had trampling issues. As long as you have steady even heat and an area they can get away it shouldn't be an issue.

5. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    They are the same breed, so I will try it and just keep an eye on them. I noticed that the first ones would pick on my rare chick. He looks so different from all the others. We believe he is a White Crested Black Polish. Compared to RIRs and BOs, he really sticks out! I'll watch the new ones.

6. Butterball

Butterball Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    I would agree with sugarbush, however it would probably be best to wait even one more day if you had the opportunity to "get their bearings". I guess what I mean is...sometimes (even if they are all fluffly in the inc.) the new guys are still...new. If they are from a hatchery, I would mix them right away. But really, in the end, unless someone is being singled out, they should be fine together.

7. hooksetz

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Just keep an eye on them they should be fine, but if they start to single out the oddball he'll probably need to be moved.

8. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    They don't mess with him now. He's too fast for them and can hold his own. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by