Mixing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherLynn, May 12, 2009.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have a bit of a question. I have 14 week old chicks outside in their coop and pen. I have 10 week old chickens in our garage at night and front yard in a play area during the day. How and when can I combine these 2. If you have seen my other posts you know my flock that is outside right now just lost half its members due to gender. I am separating the roo's till their fate is decided at my parents farm. Plenty of room in the coop for all the pullets but there is a good bit of size difference between 10 and 14 weeks. How much longer must I separate them. I have had the smaller ones separated for 2 weeks to prevent any illness from being spread. I am also considering bringing in more pullets to make up for those I have had to segregate. Helpful hints?

2. Echoes

Echoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    I don't see a problem with putting them together now.

What exactly are you worried is gonna happen?

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    The other pullets are golden comets and the boy I got from them said they were easily bullied. I don't want to come find a mangled little body cause one of my easter eggers was pissy that morning. I am very new to this and most of the books have been amazingly not helpful. I am just being over cautious probably.

The books listed 30 days separation, then potentially another 30 days in pens near each other to make sure they became familiar. Then moving everyone to a new pen so no one had claim on the territory. I don't have that many coops and runs.

4. calibersway

calibersway Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Roxboro North Carolina
    i dont see the issue with that close in age and size at this point to just throw them in together, if they're a group the are not likely to pick on each other much, even if you socialize and acclimize them to each other you're still going to get the natural regular bullying hens and roos do to one another on a daily basis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by