mixing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by toripeeps, May 9, 2011.

1. toripeeps

toripeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Help- I have six 8-week old leghorns in coop already and would like to add by 6-week old bantams when they reach 8-weeks,but a little worried about size differnce. Will the bantams be able to take care of themselves at that age.? They are all healthy and frisky but I don't want them getting beat up by the bigger hens. anyone have any advice ?

2. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Let me know when you find out! I have some buff's about 3 weeks apart and I can't believe the size difference~ I'm wondering when it will be safe to put them together. I saw some others posts about this and some people had good experiences mixing them together. And some other people had some bad quarrels~ Maybe you could watch them play in an open area and see if they get along? I will probably do that when they get a little bit bigger.

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    my flock is mixed 1/2 banty and 1/2 reg i have a 9 week old banty roo that can fit in my hand and he's been raised with full size chicks and they are 4 times his size and i have several more teeny banty that i raise right along with my reg size chics and i haven't had any issues with size the only thing i've had to do different is stagger the bricks when i raised their water/feeder so they could reach it

4. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I just introduced my bantams to my normal sized chickens today. My bantams are about 4 weeks old. My other chicken are 6 weeks and younger. So far everything has been smooth. The bantams seem to really be brave and full of themselves. lol I am watching them close but so far there have been no issues. I also have a big coop so they don't have to be right next to each other. Hope yours goes smooth also!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by