Mixing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fawngrovechad, Feb 2, 2013.

1. fawngrovechad

fawngrovechad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    PA in USA
    Hello! I'm fairly new to chickens (3 hens, 2 roosters) having started in late July 2012. I ordered 3 white leghorns due in march but also want to get 3 black sex link chicks. My question is can I mix them or should I just raise the leghorns solo and wait on the BSLs?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You don't need to wait, they'll do fine together. Lots of folks get multiple breeds and brood them together. The key is staying in the same age range, everyone should be within about 3 weeks in age. More than that and you get older birds picking on babies.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. I always raised mixed flocks, never had a problem. Your better off getting them all at once and raising them together, less integration problems later.

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Yeah, they should be fine together. It would be easier to get them all at once, but even if you don't, integration shouldn't be difficult. I have raised chicks of different ages together, and didn't have any problems, just make sure there is enough space, or else they might get bored and start pecking each other.

5. fawngrovechad

fawngrovechad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    PA in USA
    Thanks so much guys! I feel like I'm getting into the groove with the chickens and just want to keep learning! Thanks so much! I will check when the BSLs are due in and decide if it'll be a good fit timing wise...it should be a small enough window

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by