Mixing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ClapperCounty, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ClapperCounty

ClapperCounty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Yorktown, VA
    We're expecting 5 chicks from a hatchery in 10 days. We're giving 2 to our neighbor after she lost 2 in a coop fire about a month or so ago. We'd really like to add about 5 or 6 more chicks to our flock rather than just 3. Our local feed store has started to stock chicks. Would hatchery chicks and local chicks be fine to put in the same brooder? And what if they end up being a few days or a full week apart in age?

2. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    I think that as long as they are close in size it should be fine. Especially at most a week apart. Have fun with your chicks!

3. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

We bought our chicks from a feed store, and the biggest age difference between the chicks was nearly two weeks. They're still best of friends.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had a 3 week age difference in the brooder and been fine.

Any reason why you don't just add more chicks to your hatchery order? Depending on the hatchery, they're going to add more birds for warmth anyway, and the more bodies the more likely they are to all survive shipping this time of year.

5. dcbcaaron

dcbcaaron Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Dry Creek, LA
    same here, i've had them up to a couple of weeks apart and they have been fine and gotten along great!

6. ClapperCounty

Apr 14, 2013
    Yorktown, VA
    I actually went in on an order with 2 other friends. There are 25 chicks being shipped with 5 being mine. It was more so we could get breeds that aren't readily available at the feed store. We lost a buff Orpington last spring to a dog and gave our other one to a neighbor when our ducks wouldn't leave her alone and they're usually pretty well stocked at the feed and seed with the buffs. I was concerned about size/age but also disease transmission with mixing chicks.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Everyone should be healthy to start with, so disease shouldn't be an issue. If you're getting sick birds, you'd be getting sick birds regardless. Does your feed store get them from a hatchery? My feeling is hatchery chicks are pretty darn healthy, so I don't worry about them bringing in anything. I'd think anyone who sells chicks on a large volume has a lot invested in making sure they have healthy stock.

8. ClapperCounty

Apr 14, 2013
    Yorktown, VA
    True!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by