Mixing cochin and silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by red rosecomb, Dec 10, 2008.

1. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    I have 1 rooster and hen cochin and 1 rooster and hen silkie. My silkies are non-bearded but have less leg feathering than normal non-bearded silkies and are not actually show quality, but i was wondering if i could cross 1 silkie and 1 cochin then maybe their offspring could be silkie like and have more leg feathers.

But my questions are could this work? how many generations would it take for the offspring to look more silkie like than cochin?would the offspring have hard feathers and if they do how can i stop it in the forecoming generations. would the pairing have to be

Silkie roo+ cochin hen
    or
    silkie hen+ cochin roo

I would just like to cover up their chickies legs [​IMG]
    thanks

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Your best bet would be to get better quality silkies and go from there. Trying to breed out the cochin traits and getting back to a pure silkie-looking bird would likely take years. [​IMG]

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Any likely your offspring would not be silkie feathered to start with.

4. paduanchook

paduanchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    McDavid Florida
    ur off spring chiks wud most likely look like cochins w/a top knot but black legs a poss 5 toes. it is a cute combo and excellent mothers. i have several like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by