Mixing Colors of Coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It's almost winter and egg production has substantially dropped. I might move some indoors and start selectively breeding for size and color. Do you know how I could get a Tuxedo? I have a few, but need more. And what would you get if you crossed a manchurian and an a&m? What about an A&M with a jumbo? Thanks.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you already have tuxedos, either cross them with each other or cross them with an english white (a&m). Crossing with a tuxedo should result in 25% tibetan, 25% white, and 50% tuxedo chicks. Crossing with a white would get about 50/50 white and tux, and should improve the markings of the tuxedo.

A&M (white) is recessive to everything, so all you'd get are goldens (manchurians) that carry white. It's possible to eventually get golden tuxedos, but that would take a great deal of selective breeding.

Same thing goes for crossing white with brown (jumbo), you'd get browns split to white. Though eventually you might get lucky enough to get some browns that SHOW they are white carriers like my 2 that I have on the auction threads [​IMG]

3. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Thanks shelley i was wondering that myself.....
    i only have 4 tuxedos and was wanting more also..... ( all that hatched from shipped eggs....[​IMG]

4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have 2 tuxedo hens, and the rest are roosters. I think I can breed a tibeatian to a white and get a tuxedo. Is this right?

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    After several breedings and selections, yes.

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    How do you get the tuxedo to be black and white, instead of brown and white? Is it just rare?

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Tuxedos are black and white. They have a dark chocolate to black back. There are British Range Tuxes as well. The original tuxes occurred when crossing a pharaoh that contained a gene for the chocolate color and red head and an English white. Their back is a smooth color without quilling of other colors that a british range contains. That's what I look for when breeding the reg. tuxedos. I keep them in a separate pen away from the other tuxes that arise from the British Ranges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by