Mixing Cornish Chicks and Baby Pullets...........Can I Do It?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mtnhomechick, Sep 7, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Today I bought 6 black austorlorps, 2 barred rocks and 5 cornish rock baby chicks from the farm store. Can I put them together or would that be risky? I have a large rabbit hutch that would be perfect but don't know if I can mix them. Advice Appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

As long as they are all about the same size and age, no, it won't be a problem. You may run into problems when the cornish start to outgrow the pullets.

3. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    I have always raised my cornish crosses with my pullets. I have not had any problems generally speaking. When I did it was human error:(

*if the light bulb goes out in the night (in the first few weeks) the pullets got under the meat birds and got trappled.

*if they don't have enough space then they will peck each other. My pullets were the culprits.

I cannot think of anything else of the top of my head.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Best to keep the cordishX rock by themself. They need different feed,also different care.

Know lots of people do mixes them. Just asking for trouble.

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

The wire bottom on the rabbit hutch might be hard on all their feet. Would the hutch be on the ground? I picture a hutch elevated with air all around it.

You could mix them but might run into feeding difficulties. If you keep food in front of the Xs all the time they can grow too fast. If you restrict the food from the others you can stunt their growth.

Maybe you could set up a brooder with two sections, each with its own light and that way save space yet keep them separated.

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I decided not to do it because of the food issue. The Cx are eating higher protein than starter crumble. And yes, a cx could potentially lay on top of a pullet chick. I will probably put one or the other in the hutch. I have a heat lamp on them and they are in a warm outbuilding right now. In seperate boxes.

The Hutch has a try under the floor which would be nice for cleaning for ALL of them but it's not worth the worry.

Thanks Everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by