Mixing day old chicks from different breeders?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catchthewind, Mar 14, 2011.

1. catchthewind

catchthewind Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    I am getting some day old chicks in about 10 days. 8-12 of them, we haven't decided. I want to get a few more from a different breeder that will be hatching the exact same day. Is it okay to put them all in together? If not, at what point would I be able to put them together?

Thanks!

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I've done this before with out any problems, but I would maybe keep them seperate for a few days and if everyone is looking healthy, put them all together. I know you'll have ppl telling you to keep them seperate for 2 weeks or whatever, just so you don't run into diseases spreading. Most likely with new chicks you shouldn't have much a problem with that. Good luck!

3. catchthewind

catchthewind Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Okay, thanks! I could probably keep them separate for even up to a week, but they would pretty quickly outgrow the little brooders I would set up in that case. We have a rabbit hutch set up to brood them once they're a bit bigger. Will one to two week old chicks integrate okay if we kept them separate until then?

4. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I put 3 day olds in with 2 week olds once, a little pecking at first and the everyone adjusted just fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: